Indian Health Service Physician Assistant in Eagle Butte, South Dakota
About the Agency
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
This position is located within the Medical Staff Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Services (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Great Plains Area, Eagle Butte, South Dakota. The primary purpose of this position is to provide direct and comprehensive primary, preventive and therapeutic medical care to individuals across the lifespan. This position reports directly to the Clinical Director.
This position is being announced concurrently under Delegated Examining Plan DE. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-17-GP-1989295-DE for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered. The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Assesses plans and provides comprehensive and therapeutic medical care to individual geriatric, adult, adolescent, pediatric and infant patients and their families
- Orders and/or performs screening and diagnostic tests and procedures (lab studies, x-rays, electrocardiograms, audiograms, pulmonary functions tests, etc.).
- Makes diagnosis and decisions concerning medical and nursing care of patients, formulates and implements plan of care which may involve various treatment modalities, prescribing medications, consultation with other health care providers, and referrals.
- Provides emergency treatment and initiates emergency life saving measures as appropriate, i.e. cardiac arrest, shock, hemorrhage or overdose/poisonings, seizures, and emergency obstetric delivery.
- Teaches and counsels patients and family on disease prevention and health maintenance techniques. Promotes responsible behavior and implements plans to further enhance patient/family understanding of medical problems.
- Collaborates with other health care professionals to develop treatment protocols, standards of practice and policies. Participates in ongoing quality improvements activities, including audits, chart reviews, development of review criteria, development of plans for improving performance and evaluation of effectiveness of actions in improving performance.
- Serves as a consultant and provides technical assistance to other health care providers and staff.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority (ESEP); All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible or Schedule A, and/or PHS Commissioned Corp Personnel.
Questions? This job is open to 4 groups.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Confidential Financial Disclosure Form required.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): Graduation from a physician assistant educational program, accredited by the Accreditation Review Committee on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or its predecessors, at a college, university, or educational institution that is accredited by an accrediting body or organization recognized by the Secretary, U.S. Department of Education. Successful completion of the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) examination; must maintain status as a certified physician assistant, including completion of all requirements for continuing medical education (CME) and re-certification.
Transcript(s) must be submitted at time of application. Applications received without transcripts will result in a rating of not qualified. Transcripts must indicate conferral (completion) of degree to include major field, degree awards, and date degree awarded. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable as long as they meet the criteria above. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Licensure: You must submit a legible copy of current professional licensure at time of initial application. Failure to submit will result in a rating of not qualified. In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: GS-12 and above (or equivalent): A minimum of one full year of work experience as a certified physician assistant equivalent to the next lower grade level and completion of an accredited physician assistant educational program is required.
Licensure Requirement: Physician Assistant: Must possess and maintain a valid, current, unrestricted license or certification in a State. Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Thursday, July 27, 2017
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- Government Housing is available.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, current unrestricted license or certification in a State.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474442400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-14 to 2017-07-27
Salary: $79,450 to $98,269 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 12
Series: 0603 Physician Assistant
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: IHS-17-GP-1987233-ESEP/MP
Control number: 474442400