Indian Health Service Dental Officer in Kyle, South Dakota
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Services (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Great Plains Area, Dental Department, Kyle*****, South Dakota. Position reports to the Supervisory Dental Officer.********This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-17-GP-1819295-ESEP/MP++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered*****
Cut-off dates will be established based on the date requests for List of Eligibles are received to fill other vacancies. 10 pt. Veterans' Preference ESEP applicants who submit a complete application after a Cut-off date but before the List of Eligibles is issued, will be considered and referred on the List, if qualified. **1st cut-off 05/02/17, 2nd cut-off 05/22/17, 3rd cut-off 06/11/17, 4th cut-off 6/2/17, 5th cut-off 07/01/17, 6th cut-off 7/21/17, 7th cut-off 8/10/17, 8th cut-off 8/30/17, 9th cut-off 09/19/17, 10th cut-off 10/09/17, 11th cut-off 10/29/17, 12th cut-off 11/18/17, 13th cut-off 12/07/17, 14th cut-off 12/27/17 and final cut-off 12/31/17.
****** Learn more about this agency
- Provides direct dental services of a scope, quality and quantity consistent with IHS, Area and Service Unit Policies. Performs restoration of cavities with standard and prescribed material (e.g.,amalgam, silicate, and microfils). Administers local anesthesia. Performs single and multiple extraction of teeth. Treats periodontal conditions.
- Establishes relationships with tribal groups, clinical staff and IHS personnel to facilitate appropriate health care provision. directs dental team at chair side and assists in the overall evaluation and management of dental health team effort.
- Provides preventive, corrective and oral health services to patients according to IHS priority. Conducts an integrated oral health program with other services.
- Participates in educational programs for improvement of health conditions among the local community.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority (ESEP); All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible or Schedule A or PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel.
Questions? This job is open to 4 groups.
- #### Job family (Series)
0680 Dental Officer
Conditions of Employment
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Sunday, December 31, 2017
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
**Education:Degree in dental surgery (D.D.S.) or dental medicine (D.M.D.) from a school approved by the Council on Dental Education, American Dental Association (ADA); or other dental school, provided the education and knowledge acquired was substantially equivalent to that of graduates from an ADA-approved school.
**Licensure:Applicants must be currently licensed to practice dentistry in a State, the District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico.
Medical Requirement:Applicant must be able to distinguish shades of color.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned. *CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: * Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges. Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
Drug testing is not required.Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.No Housing is available.Recruitment Incentive maybe available****
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be rated based on the information provided in your resume (your resume must state specific duties that relate to this position) and your responses to the assessment questions will be evaluated against the duties you provided in your resume, along with your submitted documentation to determine your ability to demonstrate the following:
- Medical requirement
- Ability to provide patient care
- Diagnostic tasks
- Information management
- Interpersonal skills
The following links below provide information on how you may be eligible for various hiring authorities. If you are a Veteran, qualified CTAP and ICTAP eligible, or an individual with a disability, please refer to the following links below for additional guidance:
- Veterans , i.e. (VEOA, VRA, and 30% or more disabled)
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP )
- Interagency Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP)
- Schedule A Appointments for the Disabled
Click here to view vacancy questions: View Assessment Questions. All documents above MUST be received by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date of, Sunday, December 31, 2017, to be considered.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Required Documents
Required Documentation for Eligibility and Preference:
- Resume: You are highly encouraged to use USAJOBS Resume Builder.
- Indian Preference Applicants: - If claiming Indian preference for the first time, or if you have no previous documentation of preference, applicants must provide a completed copy of the Form BIA-4432 (expiration date 1/31/2018), "Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the BIA and IHS Only." Indian preference will not be given unless a properly signed and dated form is submitted with your application, including any verification by an authorized Tribal Representative or BIA Official of tribal enrollment records. For detailed instructions, see form BIA-4432. You must also complete the family history chart if necessary. Current IHS employees with a BIA form on file in their Official Personnel Folder are required to submit a copy of that form with their application. Refer to BIA-4432 link: http://www.bia.gov/cs/groups/xois/documents/document/idc1-029504.pdf
- Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) or other Veterans preference (VRA and 30% or more disabled) - include a copy of your DD-214, if you're claiming Vet preference. For more information please see link at:http://opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide/
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP, follow the instructions below: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctapguideline.pdf.
- Current or former Federal employee: Include your most recent SF50.
- Active, Unrestricted License ( Submit Copy)
Your application package MUST be complete by 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) on Sunday, December 31, 2017, the closing of this announcement.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
- Benefits for federal employees
- Healthcare insurance
- Pay and leave
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below.
- Click Apply Online' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
- Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents.
- Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application.
- Applications must be received by the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
- Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Application Status, then More Information for this position. Return to an incomplete application by clicking Apply Online in the vacancy announcement and re-selecting your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account.
To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload, complete this cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf using the following 1819366. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
You are highly encouraged to submit your application package and complete your assessment questionnaire on-line. If you cannot complete your application package online:
- Click to view and print the assessment questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
- Print this 1203FX form to provide your response to the assessment questionnaire http://www.opm.gov./Forms/pdffill/OPM1203fx.pdf
- You are limited to selecting 10 locations.
- Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
PLEASE NOTE: When completing the 1203-FX, be sure to select only one response for each question. Selecting more than one response for a question may result in your application package being rated ineligible. In Section 25 of the Occupational Questionnaire, you may notice that the numbering restarts with number one. When entering your responses on the 1203-FX form please continue to enter your responses on the next available number within this section. The numbers on the 1203-FX will not match the Occupational Questionnaire once it restarts with number one.
Submission of a resume' or a 1203FX form alone IS NOT a complete application. This position requires the completion of additional forms and/or supplemental materials as described under Required Documents section.
The IHS provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office, Mr. Troy Bad Moccasin, Human Resources Staffing Officer, PHONE: (605) 226-7217, E-MAIL: email@example.com "The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis."
For additional questions please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) found here: http://www.ihs.gov/jobs/index.cfm?module=search&option;=faq
Agency contact information
Indian Health Service HR Center East Higway18 Pine Ridge, SD
Learn more about this agency
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) office at OPM
- Office of Equal Opportunity
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/467773300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 04/13/2017 to 12/31/2017
Salary: $100,957 to $225,000 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 11
Work schedule: Full-Time - Full Time
Appointment type: Permanent