Indian Health Service Position Opening at usajobs.gov in Pine Ridge, South Dakota
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Services (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Great Plains Area, Nursing Department, Pine Ridge, South Dakota. * *Position reports to the Supervisory Clinical Nurse(s).
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-17-GP-1920301-ESEP/MP++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
Learn more about this agency
- Assess the biophysical, psychosocial, emotional, educational, spiritual, cultural needs of patients on the unit.
- Develops a plan of care for individual patient utilizing nursing diagnosis.
- Formulates nursing interventions based on appropriately identified nursing diagnosis.
- Operates specialized equipment which may include cardiac monitors, ventilator, defibrillator, pulse oximeter, infusion pumps, warning/cooling devices, central lines, etc. Maintains proper equipment checks with units policies and procedures.
- Evaluates outcomes, reassess and revises the plan of nursing care. Consults with physicians and other health care professional on patients to obtain diagnostic and therapeutic assistance and coordinate needs.
- Participates in education, in-services, certification training(s) and other nursing policy and procedures.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
"ANY UNITED STATES CITIZEN"
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- #### Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- U.S. Citizenship is required
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Monday, February 26, 2018
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
EDUCATION: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. (One year of nursing experience as a military corpsman that has been accepted by a State licensing body may be accepted in lieu of education at the GS-4 level.)
*REGISTRATION: *Applicants MUST HAVE active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
The following shows the amount of education and/or experience required to qualify these positions
GS-04:One (1) year of nursing experience as a military corpsman OR an Associates Degree (or completion of less than 30 months' duration)
GS-05:Completion of a program of less than 30 months' duration; OR, One (1) year of professional nursing (or at least a GS-04 grade level practical nurse or nursing assistant experience under the supervision of a professional nurse); OR, Bachelor's degree or four (4) academic years above high school (or completion of a program of at least 30 months duration).
GS-07:Completion of a professional nursing program; AND, One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 grade level; OR, Bachelor's degree with 'superior academic achievement', OR, One (1) full year of graduate education.
GS-09: 1 year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 level OR a Master's (or equivalent) Degree or 2 full years of Graduate Education.
GS-10: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level.
EVALUATION OF EDUCATION: At the GS-5 level, successfully completed undergraduate course work in nursing; the behavioral, physical, or biological sciences related to nursing; nutrition; public health; and maternal and child health in excess of that required for completion of an associate degree may be substituted for professional nursing experience at the rate of one (1) academic year for nine (9) months of experience. Graduate-level education must have been in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.) or in a closely related non-nursing field directly applicable to the requirements of the position to be filled.
EVALUATION OF EXPERIENCE: Experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. At GS-9 grade level many positions require experience in a specialty area of nursing. You must have duties such as: Develop and implement a plan of care for assigned patients based on the nursing process. Provide nursing interventions based on established plan of care and evaluate effectiveness. Set up and operate specialized equipment. Provide nursing leadership in maintaining the function of the in-patient unit. Provide patient care in other areas as assigned within documented competency levels. Documents nursing activities regarding direct patient care, quality improvement, infection control, assignments, etc.
*SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE DEFINED: *May require experience in a certain field of nursing depending on the position being filled; in this case Specialized Experience in the OB/GYN,IPC,ACN department in the following; Experience with the nursing process including, principles, practices and procedures of nursing care required to assess and care for nursing needs of medical, surgical, pediatric and geriatric patients and other types of patients as assigned. Experience developing or participating in the developing of a plan of care to meet the needs of assigned patients. Experience planning and directing the work of others staff to provide quality nursing care to patients. Experience recognizing adverse signs and symptoms and to experience reacting swiftly in emergency situations. Experience working with pharmaceuticals, their desired effects, side effects and complications of their use. Experience assess patients of all ages and with a variety of medical or surgical problems. Experience working with and operating specialized medical equipment. Experience working with the principles and methods of continuous quality improvement measures and oversight. Experience insuring compliance with accrediting bodies.
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
**Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
Government housing may be available - depending on availability for Acute Care and OB/GYN.
Drug testing is not required.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
Recruitment incentive maybe authorized.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Traditional rating and ranking of applications does not apply to this vacancy. Your application (resume and supporting documentation) will be evaluated to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications required as listed on the announcement under qualification requirements. Qualified candidates will be referred for consideration in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management direct hire guidelines.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Required Documents
Required Documentation for Eligibility and Preference:
- Resume: You are highly encouraged to use USAJOBS Resume Builder to ensure all required information is included in your Resume. If you use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that includes beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience (month and year), hours worked per week, annual salary, and description of job duties. Include name and address of employer; supervisor name and telephone number.
- Indian Preference Applicants: Indian preference will not be given unless a properly signed and dated Form BIA-4432 (Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the BIA and IHS Only) is submitted with your application, including any verification by an authorized Tribal Representative or BIA Official of tribal enrollment records, this may include the completion of the family history chart if necessary. If you are obtaining a new form you must provide a completed copy of the Form BIA-4432 with expiration date 1/31/2018. For detailed instructions on how to obtain a completed form, see Form BIA-4432. You must also complete the family history chart if necessary. Refer to BIA-4432 link: http://www.bia.gov/cs/groups/xois/documents/document/idc1-029504.pdf
- Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) or other Veterans preference (VRA and 30% or more disabled): include a copy of your DD-214, if you're claiming Vet preference. For more information please see link at: http://opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide/
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP, follow the instructions below: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctapguideline.pdf
- Active, Unrestricted Nursing License ( Submit Copy)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
- Benefits for federal employees
- Healthcare insurance
- Pay and leave
You can review our benefits at: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below.
- Click Apply Online' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
- Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents.
- Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application.
- Applications must be received by the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
- Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Application Status, then More Information for this position. Return to an incomplete application by clicking Apply Online in the vacancy announcement and re-selecting your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account.
To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload, complete this cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf using the following vacancy number 1920426. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
You are highly encouraged to submit your application package and complete your assessment questionnaire on-line. If you cannot apply online:
- Click to view and print the assessment questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
- Print this 1203FX form to provide your response to the assessment questionnaire http://www.opm.gov./Forms/pdffill/OPM1203fx.pdf
- You are limited to selecting 10 locations.
- Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
PLEASE NOTE: When completing the 1203-FX, be sure to select only one response for each question. Selecting more than one response for a question may result in your application package being rated ineligible. In Section 25 of the Occupational Questionnaire, you may notice that the numbering restarts with number one. When entering your responses on the 1203-FX form please continue to enter your responses on the next available number within this section. The numbers on the 1203-FX will not match the Occupational Questionnaire once it restarts with number one.
Submission of a resume' or a 1203FX form alone IS NOT a complete application. This position requires the completion of additional forms and/or supplemental materials as described under Required Documents section.
The IHS provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office, Mr. Troy Bad Moccasin, Human Resources Staffing Officer, PHONE: (605) 226-7217, E-MAIL: email@example.com "The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis."
For additional questions please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) found here: http://www.ihs.gov/jobs/index.cfm?module=search&option;=faq
Agency contact information
Indian Health Service HR Center East Higway18 Pine Ridge, SD
Learn more about this agency
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJobs account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJobs that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJobs Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the human resources office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
* Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer *
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/464926100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 02/27/2017 to 02/26/2018
Salary: $44,214 to $74,626 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 04 - 10
Work schedule: Full-Time - Full Time
Appointment type: Permanent