Indian Health Service Pharmacist in Rapid City, South Dakota
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives. ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Service (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Great Plains Area, PHS Indian Health Hospital, Rapid City, SD, Pharmacy Department. This position reports to the Pharmacy Director. The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This position is being announced concurrently under Direct Hiring Authority Procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-17-GP-1986228-DHA++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered for each announcement.
- Provision of advanced pharmaceutical services, including prescriptive authority by medical staff approved protocols, which meet the needs of eligible Native American beneficiaries.
- Takes an appropriate medication history, performs medication reconciliation, and performs limited physical assessment related to the specialized pharmacy clinics.
- Verification of medication orders using the data provided in the patient's medical record to ensure safe medication use, appropriate choice of drug therapy, and calculation of appropriate doses corresponding to the patient's age, weight, and current disease states.
- Serves as a therapeutic consultant to the medical staff.
- Participated in ongoing quality assurance and performance improvement activities including audits, chart reviews, and the development of review criteria.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority (ESEP); Federal employees serving on a career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appoint; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligibles; PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel.
Questions? This job is open to 4 groups.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- A Current Unrestricted Professional License is required (Submit Copy).
- Position subject to Level V Background clearance including credit check.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
Education: Four-year bachelor's degree in pharmacy recognized by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education.
Licensure: All applicants must be licensed to practice pharmacy in a state, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
For GS-11: Successful completion of a 6-year course of study leading to a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree or 1 year of professional pharmacy experience providing drug information and performing pharmacy dispensing.
For GS-12: One year of professional pharmacy experience assuring the appropriateness of therapy, providing drug information, and verifying patients understanding of medications.
MEDICAL REQUIREMENT: Applicants must be able to distinguish basic colors.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Wednesday, July 26, 2017
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Position may be subject to alternate work schedule, rotating shifts, call back and nights/weekends/holidays schedule.
- Position is covered by PL 101-630 and is considered a Child Care Worker position.
- This position has promotion potential to the GS-12 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
- Government housing is not available.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474295000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-12 to 2017-07-26
Salary: $83,721 to $119,179 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 11 - 12
Series: 0660 Pharmacist
Appointment type: Multiple Appointment Types
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: IHS-17-GP-1986227-ESEP/MP
Control number: 474295000