Indian Health Service Pharmacist (Assistant Chief) in Rosebud, South Dakota
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
This position is located at the Rosebud Service Unit, Division of Clinical Services, Pharmacy department in Rosebud, South Dakota. The primary purpose of this position is to serve as the Assistant Chief Pharmacist.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service and Merit Promotion procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-17-GP-1986189-ESEP/MP++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
DIRECT HIRING AUTHORITY ANNOUCEMENT: These positions are being filled through Office of Personnel Management's delegated Direct Hiring Authority (DHA). The "Direct Hiring Authority" has been authorized by Homeland Security Act of 2002 and Part 337, Subpart B, Title 5 code of the Code of Federal Regulations (5 CFR). IF filled utilizing DHA, the following is applicable: All applicant(s) who meet the basic qualifications requirements will be forwarded to the "Selecting Official" for consideration. The rule of three, 1) Veteran(s) Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants, do not apply to the Direct Hire process. 2) Indian Preference does apply.
- Assists the Director of Pharmacy in development and updating of Pharmacy policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the coordination and supervision of the Outpatient Pharmacy Services.
- Clinical duties are those which involve risk to patient life, safety, health or well-being and are performed on a regular basis.
- Plans work to be accomplished by subordinates and prepares schedules for completion of work.
- All other duties as assigned by the Director of Pharmacy.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional Travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Relocation expenses may or may not be authorized. If authorized you will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Any US Citizen
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Rotating shifts and weekends.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
Individual Occupational Requirements Education: Four-year bachelor's degree in pharmacy recognized by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education. Licensure: Except for research positions that do not entail patient care, all applicants must be licensed to practice pharmacy in a State, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia. Additional Requirements for Grades GS-9 and Above: For GS-12: One year of professional pharmacy experience equivalent to at least GS-11. Medical Requirements Applicants must be able to distinguish basic colors.
Examples of Specialized Experience:
- Experience planning work to be accomplished by subordinates, develop performance standards and participate in quality assurance and performance improvement activities.
- Experience Supervising staff, coordinating pharmaceutical care activities, developing and implementing pharmacy policies/ procedures, collaboratively work on accreditation Standards and performance improvement activities.
- Experience with organizing work; assessing workload shifts, identifying backlogs and making staffing adjustments as needed to meet operational needs of the pharmacy; Experience ensuring projects and reports are submitted in a timely manner; directing inpatient activities, planning short and long range objectives/goals, and achieving established goals within budget and staffing constraints.
- Experience planning and scheduling work; assigning work to employees; accepting, amending, or rejecting completing work; assuring accuracy requirements are met.
- Experience working with performance appraisals and recommending performance standards and ratings; approving leave; and effecting disciplinary measures.
Supervisory Position: Experience leading or Supervising Pharmacy department by assessing and evaluating work performance and employee conduct, experience creating work schedules.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
When there is a positive education requirement, or you are using education to qualify as a substitution for experience, transcripts (unofficial) are required at the time of application to verify that you meet the educational requirement or substitution. Only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education may be credited. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Wednesday, July 26, 2017
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJobs account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJobs that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJobs Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the human resources office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
* Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer *
You can review our benefits at: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
- Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a 6 month service agreement will be required.
- A one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- Government Housing may be available.
- This is NOT a bargaining unit position.
- This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474349700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-13 to 2017-07-26
Salary: $100,360 to $119,179 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 12
Series: 0660 Pharmacist
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: IHS-17-GP-1986190-DH
Control number: 474349700