Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Advanced Medical Support Assistant in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
*This announcement will be used to fill Advanced Medical Support Assistant vacancies within the Sioux Falls VA Health Care System as they become available. *
This is an INTERNAL announcement.Current permanent Sioux Falls VAHCS employees, current permanent VA employees from other facilities should apply under this announcement.
Veterans Preference is not used on internal announcements.
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1986977 OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
At the Sioux Falls VA Health Care System (SFVAHCS), we strive to hire only the best! Working with and for America's Veterans is a privilege, and we pride ourselves on the quality of care we provide. In return for your commitment to quality health care for our nation's Veterans, VA offers an incomparable benefits package. No state income tax. The SFVAHCS is a teaching hospital providing a full range of patient care service, with state-of-the-art technology as well as education and research. Care is provided to eligible Veterans in eastern South Dakota, northwestern Iowa, and southwestern Minnesota. Comprehensive health care is provided through primary care, tertiary care, and long-term care in the areas of medicine, surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, neurology, oncology, dentistry, geriatrics, and transitional care. The SFVAHCS is part of VA Midwest Healthcare System (VISN 23), which includes facilities in Minnesota, North Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota. Every job at the VA impacts the Veterans that we serve. You can be part of that team, helping to make sure that our Veterans receive the top-quality care they deserve.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
The procedures outlined in AFGE Master Agreement, Article 23, Section 8 will be followed. First consideration will be given to current Sioux Falls VAHCS employees.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Requires Filing a Financial Disclosure Report: No
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
The Sioux Falls VA Health Care System is currently recruiting for a Full-time, Permanent, Advanced Medical Support Assistant. As an Advanced Medical Support Assistant, you are responsible for the following duties to include, but not limited to:
- Perform receptionist duties, customer service and other duties assigned for the proper and timely treatment of patients.
- Maintain appointment schedules for one or more clinics.
- Assist with clinic access contingency plans by adjusting appointment times, location, or dates as well as shift patients to other healthcare providers as conflict with staffing and/or coverage occurs.
- Schedule appointments and monitor clinic access
- Conduct daily review of consults and wait lists.
- Coordinate with the patient care team to review the clinic utilization by using various reports.
- Ensure that the clinic setup is closely monitored to effectively support the needs of the clinic, and make any necessary adjustments.
- Develop/maintain effective and efficient communication with the patient, interdisciplinary team, VA medical centers, and other agencies.
- Participate in team huddles and team meetings to manage and plan patient care, set priorities and deadlines, and adjust the flow and sequencing of the work to meet team and patient needs.
- Work with the team to reinforce the plan of care and self-help solutions and entering appropriate information into the electronic record.
- Monitor pre-appointment requirements to assure readiness for patient visit/procedure (e.g., X-ray, lab work).
- Manage electronic wait list to verify and validate accuracy and resolve issues.
- Participate and provide input in problem solving on operational issues or procedures in team meetings.
- Perform administrative follow up actions.
- The MSA is the designated scheduling subject matter expert and trains other MSA's in VHA scheduling techniques.
- The MSA is responsible for tracking new enrollees to the health care system and making their initial appointment in accordance with the new enrollee time lines.
Work Schedule: The tour of duty for this position is typically days, Monday - Friday. Additional information concerning the schedule may be discussed in the interview.
Functional Statement Title: Advanced Medical Support Assistant
- Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current permanent Sioux Falls VA HCS employees, and current permanent VA employees at other facilities.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Background and-or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Subject to a one year probationary period.
- U.S. Citizenship. Non-Citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy
Education & Experience.
Experience: Six months experience of clerical, office or other work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position; OR- Education: One year above high school (Transcripts required); OR- Experience/Education Combination: Equivalent combination of experience and education are qualifying for entry level for which both education and experience are acceptable (Transcripts required).
Must be proficient in spoken and written English.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Experience: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-5).
- Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities. In addition to meeting the experience and/or education requirement, Candidates must demonstrate the KSAs below:
- Ability to collaborate, communicate, set priorities, and organize the work in order to meet deadlines, ensuring compliance with established processes, policies, and regulations.
- Ability to communicate tactfully and effectively, both orally and in writing, in order to meet program objectives. This may include preparing reports in various formats and presenting data to various organizational levels.
- Advanced knowledge of the technical health care process as it relates to access to care.
- Advanced knowledge of managing a clinic. This includes independently utilizing reference sources, decision making, and empowering the team to collaborate and resolve problems within a complex systems environment.
- Advanced knowledge of policies and procedures associated with operational activities that affect the patient flow, patient care, and the revenue process.
- Advanced knowledge of medical terminology due to the technical nature of language utilized by clinicians.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005/53, Part II, Appendix G45 MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT QUALIFICATION STANDARD, dated June 7, 2012. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:The position requires long periods of sitting and extensive fine motor skills and exertion to the upper extremities. Daily intermittent walking, standing, bending, stooping, reaching, and carrying of lightweight items required. Rigid deadlines and need for high degree of accuracy periodically becomes stressful. There is daily contact with patients; Incumbent is expected to practice safe work habits and use ergonomically correct body mechanics to avoid injury.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During the review, if your resume and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made. You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status". For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information". Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment. This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Please use the following link for additional information: Mythbuster on Federal Hiring Policies.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474469800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-14 to 2017-08-28
Salary: $36,611 to $47,598 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 06
Series: 0679 Medical Support Assistance
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: SU-17-ALS-1986977-BU-SR
Control number: 474469800