Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician (Psychiatrist) in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1985903
Our mission: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
At the Sioux Falls VA Health Care System (SFVAHCS), we strive to hire only the best! Working with and for America's Veterans is a privilege, and we pride ourselves on the quality of care we provide. In return for your commitment to quality health care for our nation's Veterans, VA offers an incomparable benefits package. Located in southeast South Dakota, Sioux Falls is a family-oriented community with no state income tax. The SFVAHCS is a teaching hospital providing a full range of patient care service, with state-of-the-art technology as well as education and research. Comprehensive health care is provided through primary care, tertiary care, and long-term care in the areas of medicine, surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, neurology, oncology, dentistry, geriatrics, and transitional care. The SFVAHCS is part of VA Midwest Healthcare System (VISN 23), which includes facilities in Minnesota, North Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota. Every job at the VA impacts the Veterans that we serve. You can be part of that team, helping to make sure that our Veterans receive the top-quality care they deserve.
As a VA physician, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
The procedures outlined in AFGE Master Agreement, Article 23, Section 8 will be followed. First consideration will be given to current Sioux Falls VAHCS employees.
Requires Filing a Financial Disclosure Report: Yes
Recruitment incentives authorized: Yes Relocation incentives authorized: Yes
*You may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information. *
The Sioux Falls VA Health Care System is recruiting for a Full Time, Permanent, Psychiatrist. Location will depend on applicant and availability. Assignment to other areas within the Mental Health service, Medical Center or CBOC's may be required.
- Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Documenting, observations, and changes in patient's condition; collaborating with health team members to facilitate positive patient care outcomes providing a full range of psychiatric care to patients with a variety of physical and /or behavior problems; and accountable for meeting and maintain the qualification standards of assigned specialty. Our facility is seeking individuals who possess good organizational skills which enable completion of work, a demonstrated ability to assume leadership in a patient centered program, and the ability to establish effective communication with patients, families, visitors, and members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Must be computer literate with skills to access and input electronic medical documentation.
- Responsible for the successful achievement of applicable Performance Measures.
- Clinical Responsibilities:
- Psychiatrists provide telemedicine care and will need to complete Suboxone certification.
- Assist in other service lines initiatives to include Suboxone clinics and other psychiatry clinics.
- Provides a full range of psycho-diagnostic services including assessment and using the most appropriate psychopharmacologic techniques in providing quality care.
- Performs consultations, screenings and evaluations.
- Provides a full range of therapeutic interventions including: individual and group psychotherapy, psycho education, treatment planning.
- May conduct Compensation and Pension Evaluations.
Work Schedule: The tour of duty is typically Monday-Friday, weekends, on-call and rotating holidays. Additional information regarding the tour of duty for these positions will be covered during the interview process.
Throughout the duration of this vacancy announcement, applications that are received will be referred to the selecting official on a bi-weekly basis.
Functional Statement Title/#:Physician
- Occasional Travel
- Travel will be required depending on need to CBOC's in Aberdeen, SD, Sioux City, IA, Watertown, SD, Wagner, SD and Spirit Lake, IA as determined by Mental Health Service Line Leadership.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
United States Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and-or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and-or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Subject to a two year probationary period.
- Citizenship of the United States. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completed a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English. Physicians, including residents, appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Preferred Experience: Board certified/board eligible preferred. The candidate should have significant accomplishments in clinical practice and educational activities which clearly distinguish the physician as having the highest professional qualifications.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Preference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2, Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the Human Resources Office.
Note:Applicant's education and length of practice (experience) will be considered by a Professional Standards Board and Compensation Panel in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:The work is primarily sedentary. Typically, the employee will sit to do the work. However, there may be some walking, standing, bending, carrying of light items (such as books, papers), accessing transportation, and/or driving a government vehicle.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA physician brochure.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Please use the following link for additional information: Mythbuster on Federal Hiring Policies.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474184200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-11 to 2017-09-29
Salary: $101,967 to $264,000 / per year
Pay scale & grade: VM 00
Series: 0602 Medical Officer
Appointment type: Excepted Service Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: SU-17-CLM-1985903-BU
Control number: 474184200