Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician (Psychiatrist) in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
As a VA physician, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
The procedures outlined in AFGE Master Agreement, Article 23, Section 8 will be followed. First consideration will be given to current Sioux Falls VAHCS employees.
Requires Filing a Financial Disclosure Report: Yes
Recruitment incentives authorized: Yes Relocation incentives authorized: Yes
*You may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information. *
Learn more about this agency
The Sioux Falls VA Health Care System is recruiting for a Full Time, Permanent, Psychiatrist. Location will depend on applicant and availability. Assignment to other areas within the Mental Health service, Medical Center or CBOC's may be required.
- Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Documenting, observations, and changes in patient's condition; collaborating with health team members to facilitate positive patient care outcomes providing a full range of psychiatric care to patients with a variety of physical and /or behavior problems; and accountable for meeting and maintain the qualification standards of assigned specialty. Our facility is seeking individuals who possess good organizational skills which enable completion of work, a demonstrated ability to assume leadership in a patient centered program, and the ability to establish effective communication with patients, families, visitors, and members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Must be computer literate with skills to access and input electronic medical documentation.
- Responsible for the successful achievement of applicable Performance Measures.
- Clinical Responsibilities:
- Psychiatrists provide telemedicine care and will need to complete Suboxone certification.
- Assist in other service lines initiatives to include Suboxone clinics and other psychiatry clinics.
- Provides a full range of psycho-diagnostic services including assessment and using the most appropriate psychopharmacologic techniques in providing quality care.
- Performs consultations, screenings and evaluations.
- Provides a full range of therapeutic interventions including: individual and group psychotherapy, psycho education, treatment planning.
- May conduct Compensation and Pension Evaluations.
Work Schedule: The tour of duty is typically Monday-Friday, weekends, on-call and rotating holidays. Additional information regarding the tour of duty for these positions will be covered during the interview process.
Throughout the duration of this vacancy announcement, applications that are received will be referred to the selecting official on a bi-weekly basis.
Functional Statement Title/#:Physician
Occasional travel - Travel will be required depending on need to CBOC's in Aberdeen, SD, Sioux City, IA, Watertown, SD, Wagner, SD and Spirit Lake, IA as determined by Mental Health Service Line Leadership.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
United States Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- #### Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- Physicians, All Other
Conditions of Employment
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and-or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and-or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Subject to a two year probationary period.
Physical Requirements:The work is primarily sedentary. Typically, the employee will sit to do the work. However, there may be some walking, standing, bending, carrying of light items (such as books, papers), accessing transportation, and/or driving a government vehicle.
- Citizenship of the United States. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completed a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English. Physicians, including residents, appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Preferred Experience: Board certified/board eligible preferred. The candidate should have significant accomplishments in clinical practice and educational activities which clearly distinguish the physician as having the highest professional qualifications.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Preference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2, Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the Human Resources Office.
Note:Applicant's education and length of practice (experience) will be considered by a Professional Standards Board and Compensation Panel in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Please use the following link for additional information: Mythbuster on Federal Hiring Policies.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be reviewed. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We may not make assumptions regarding your experience.
NOTE:Applicant's education and length of practice (experience) will be considered by a Compensation Panel in determining the salary of the applicant selected.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete application package which includes the following REQUIRED material listed below:
- Complete and current professional resume or CV.
- VA Form 10-2850 - Application for Physicians, Dentists, Podiatrists, Optometrists, and Chiropractors. Available at the VA Forms website: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/searchaction.asp?FormNo=10-2850&tkey;=&Action;=Search.
- Responses to the Occupational Questionnaire. (Listed within the Application Manager program when you click on the "Apply Online" button).
- Please use the checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference:When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD-214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1985903.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
- Benefits for federal employees
- Healthcare insurance
- Pay and leave
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA physician brochure.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply onlinebut may apply via Fax (instructions are below). You may also express your interest, obtain additional information about the position, or seek application assistance by emailing your C.V. to COURTNEY.MCDANIEL@VA.GOV.
To apply for this position, you must complete the View Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (Eastern Time) onFriday, September 29, 2017to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click the* Submit My Answers* to submit your application package.
NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
VHA Sioux Falls HCS Department of Veterans Affairs 2501 West 22nd Street Sioux Falls, SD USA
Learn more about this agency
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) office at OPM
- Office of Equal Opportunity
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474184200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 07/11/2017 to 09/29/2017
Salary: $101,967 to $264,000 per year
Pay scale & grade: VM 00
Work schedule: Full-Time - Full Time
Appointment type: Permanent - Excepted Service Permanent