Polaris Industries EHS Specialist - Vermillion, SD in Vermillion, South Dakota
Req No. 9237BR
Title EHS Specialist - Vermillion, SD
Job Category Manufacturing
This position provides direct EHS support for a large (700,000+ sq. ft.) parts, goods and accessories distribution center. Position will include all facets of EHS support to this site and potential for growth into indirect multi-site support. Ensurescompliance with internal and external EHS regulatory requirements including local, state and federal requirements. Leads site implementation of Polaris enterprise-wide Environmental, Health and Safety policies, procedures and initiatives. Promotes cross-site best practice sharing and participates on enterprise-wide EHS project teams.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Understands, implements and ensures compliance with all applicable Environmental, Health, Safety and Security regulations, Polaris objectives, policies and procedures
• Plans and coordinates safety and environmental training programs; prepares materials; coordinates, schedules and presents training classes; evaluates program effectiveness. (e.g. Hazard Communication, Lock Out Tag Out, Hazardous Waste Management, Storm Water Management, etc.)
• Conducts routine safety and environmental inspections and audits; ensures compliance with internal and external regulatory standards, corrects on-the-spot violations; informs department of findings, recommends corrective or preventative measures, and performs follow-up inspections
• Conducts ergonomic assessments and provides support and advice for the continuous improvement of job processes to reduce the risk of cumulative trauma disorders
• Leads incident investigations to identify root cause of unplanned incidents and ensures corrective action measures are executed in a timely manner.
• Proactively investigates near misses and analyzes EHS reports and facility statistics for trends and patterns to identify potential improvement opportunities.
• Monitors local EHS regulatory developments and implements appropriate responsive programs
• Serves as a resource on facility wide issues related to personnel and asset safety, EHS compliance, emergency action planning and site security
• Ensures completion of periodic monitoring as required by environmental laws and permits (i.e. opacity monitoring, water discharge sampling, solid waste profile sampling, etc.)
• Prepares and maintains required EHS documentation and reports including safety data sheets, environmental permit applications and routine monitoring reports to regulatory agencies (e.g., Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans, Spill Control Plans, Discharge Monitoring Reports, Incident Logs etc.)
• Reviews capital projects and contract work to assure compliance with safety and environmental requirements
• Performs other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
Communication skills; written and oral - Ability to communicate across all levels of the organization
Influencing and Relationship Building Skills – Ability to utilize organizational knowledge to build relationships, exercise influence and lead change in order to meet EHS objectives
EHS External Partnering/Negotiation Skills – Ability to build relationships and negotiate effectively with external stakeholders
• Bachelor's degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Science, engineering or related field
• Minimum of 3 years of experience in industrial health, safety and environmental function.
Location US - Vermillion, SD
Education Requirements 4 year degree or higher
Years of Experience Required 3 years experience
About this location This opportunity is located in Vermillion which is nestled in the southeastern corner of South Dakota just minutes away from the Nebraska and Iowa borders. Vermillion is the perfect place to settle down and raise a family as well as excel your career. It’s a small, comfortable, safe, University community that offers various recreation activities including bike paths, four city parks, an 18-hole golf course, hunting, fishing, Division 1 college sports, and much more. If you’re ready to become part of a team that operates a world-class distribution center, look no further.
About Polaris Recognized as the leader in the powersports industry, Polaris Industries is a fast growing, innovative, global organization. The people here at Polaris don’t just create products — they are part of a lifestyle. It’s the passion & execution of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do.
Polaris Industries Inc. (NYSE: PII) is a global powersports leader that has been fueling the passion of riders, workers and outdoor enthusiasts for more than 60 years. With annual 2016 sales of $4.5 billion, Polaris’ innovative, high-quality product line-up includes the RANGER®, RZR® and Polaris GENERAL™ side-by-side off-road vehicles; the Sportsman® and Polaris ACE® all-terrain off-road vehicles; Indian Motorcycle® midsize and heavyweight motorcycles; Slingshot® moto-roadsters; and Polaris RMK®, INDY®, Switchback® and RUSH® snowmobiles. Polaris enhances the riding experience with parts, garments and accessories, along with a growing aftermarket portfolio, including Transamerican Auto Parts. Polaris’ presence in adjacent markets globally include military and commercial off-road vehicles, quadricycles, and electric vehicles. Proudly headquartered in Minnesota, Polaris serves more than 100 countries across the globe. Visit www.polaris.com for more information.
Polaris prides itself on recognizing and developing top talent to take its people and company to the next level. Competitive salary, generous benefits and a comprehensive relocation plan are just a few components of the total compensation package offered at Polaris. Are you ready to join a company where you will work hard and play hard, and be rewarded for your performance?
Polaris is an Equal Opportunity Employer.