Indian Health Service Medical Records Technician (Coder) in Wagner, South Dakota
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
This Job Opportunity Announcement (JOA) is being re-advertised to solicit additional applications. Applicants who applied previously need not reapply unless submitting updated and/or missing information.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
The position of Medical Records Technician is located at the Wagner Health Center, Division of Health Information Management Department, Branch of Clinical Services in Wagner, South Dakota
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Merit Promotion and Excepted Service procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-R2-GP-1947260-ESEP/MP++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
- Reviews, analyzes and performs a comprehensive evaluation of medical records for compliance with the requirements of the Centers of Medicare/Medicaid (CMS) and other accrediting agency as well as Federal and State regulations.
- Reviews multiple diagnoses and sequences in appropriate order to assure maximum reimbursement allocation.
- Makes the final determination that the record/visit is complete and accurate.
- Performs comprehensive review of each visit by pulling up a PCC audit report to ensure correct code assigned.
- Reviews error reports monthly for review and follow-up/corrective action.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional Travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid only if you are a current Federal Employee. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Any US CITIZEN
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary period.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: GS-07: One (1) year of Specialized Experience equivalent to the GS-06 grade level. GS-08: One (1) year of Specialized Experience equivalent to the GS-07 grade level.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE--Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level. Applicants who have the 1 year of appropriate specialized experience, as indicated in the table, are not required by this standard to have general experience, education above the high school level, or any additional specialized experience to meet the minimum qualification requirements. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE DEFINED FOR GS-7: Experience with routine problems of limited complexity such as compiling, recording and reviewing medical records data. Experience with which code to use from several choices most accurately describing the diagnosis or surgery performed, relating the operation to the proper diagnosis when multiple diagnoses are listed, etc. Experience recognizing inconsistencies in the medical records and applies prescribed medical records procedures and methods to validate that the record contains factual information, proper codes and is properly organized. Experience in ICD-9, ICD-10 and CPT. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE DEFINED FOR GS-8: Experience with routine problems of limited complexity such as compiling, recording and reviewing medical records data. Experience with which code to use from several choices most accurately describing the diagnosis or surgery performed, relating the operation to the proper diagnosis when multiple diagnoses are listed, etc. Experience recognizing inconsistencies in the medical records and applies prescribed medical records procedures and methods to validate that the record contains factual information, proper codes and is properly organized. Experience in ICD-9, ICD-10 and CPT. Experience in Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis entering data into Electronic Health Record and performing reviews of records within the Patient Care Component by identifying deficiencies and/or omissions. Experience working with the medico-legal aspects of health information management. Experience correlating pharmacy, laboratory, radiology treatments and results with diagnosis. SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR: Must be a certified coder as evidence by the following credentials: CCS. CCS-P, CPC or CPC-H.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Wednesday, July 26, 2017
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the human resources office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
- Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
- Bargaining Unit Position
- No Housing available
- Position covered under P.L. 101-630
- This position has promotion potential to the GS-08 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474379100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-13 to 2017-07-26
Salary: $40,684 to $58,570 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 07 - 08
Series: 0675 Medical Records Technician
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: IHS-R2-GP-1947343-DE
Control number: 474379100